Whether or not you’re a hardcore lover of the largest sport in the country, presently there may be a couple of things you don’t find out about the soccer.
Buzz2Day presents you with 30 interesting facts about one of the most loved sports in the world.
- Football originated in China around 476 B.C.
2. Soccer is the most played and most viewed sport on the planet.
3. Soccer is typically the most popular sport on the globe. Over 1 billion followers watch Globe Cup Basketball on television.
4. The biggest Soccer competition saw a minimum of 5, 098 groups. They will competed it happened in 1999 for the next Bangkok Group Seven-a-Side Competition. Over 35,000 players participated.
5. The maximum number of goals scored by one player in a single Football match was 16. It was scored by Stephan Stanis (France) playing for Racing Club de Lens in December 1942.
6. Based on video evidence, one of the fastest ever scored was in 2.8 seconds by Ricardo Olivera (Uruguay) in December 1998.
7. Football goalies didn’t have to wear different coloured shirts from their teammates until 1913.
8. Football players run an average of 9.65 kms during every game.
9. The very first game of basketball was played with a soccer ball.
10. The World’s First Football Club was the English Sheffield Football Club. It was founded in 1857 by Colonel Nathaniel Cresswick and Major William Priest, two British Army officers.
11. European Teams have reached every World Cup final, except for the finals of 1930 and 1950.
12. The highest scoring game was clocked 149-0. Stade Olympique de L’emyrne, a team from Madagascar scored their own goals. They did it as a form of protest for the unfair decision by the referee in the previous game.
13. Ronaldinho came into limelight when scored 23 goals in a 23-0 game when he was only.
14. Celestine Babayaro, Nigerian born Chelsea player injured his legs while celebrating his debut goal in a pre-season match, while Luigi Riva broke a spectator’s arm with his powerful shot.
15. The first black football player was Arthur Wharton in the 1800s.
16. Pele was the first to call football “the beautiful game”.
17. Only Americans and Canadians call football “soccer”.
18. England came up with the word “soccer”. It’s a shortened version of “Association Football” that was changed to “Assoc Football”. This was changed to “Soccer”. In 19th century England, it was popular to add the “-er” sound to shortened words.
19. In 1964, a referee’s call during a football match in Peru caused a riot that killed over 300 people.
20. In 1998, lightening killed an entire football team. The catastrophe occurred in Congo during a match between the villages of Bena Tshadi and nearby Basangana.
21. ASEC Abidjan of Cote d’Ivoire was unbeaten for 108 games between 1989 and 1994.
22. The Portuguese boast of scoring the world’s greatest goals to game ratio of 1.77. The team has found the net an incredible 331 times in just 187 games for Sporting Lisbon between 1937 and 1949 (compared to Messi’s 0.82 for Barcelona).
23. Worldwide, there are 27 professional football clubs that take a Beatles song as their nickname – Villarreal in Spain being the most famous (the Yellow Submarines).
24. Neil Armstrong originally wanted to take a football to the moon – but NASA deemed it to be un-American.
25. The ball used in professional football has remained exactly the same size and shape for 120 years – 28 inches in circumference.
26. More than 80% of the world’s footballs are manufactured in Pakistan.
27. The first live coverage of a football match was shown on television in 1937. It was a practice match Arsenal played at Highbury stadium.
28. A total of 20 red cards were shown in a match played between Sportivo Ameliano and General Caballero in Paraguay.
29. In 1978, Manchester United manager, Sir Alex Ferguson was fired for swearing at a lady.
30. Ryan Giggs’ (of Manchester United) dad was a professional Rugby League player.